Recipes

Book Two Recipe: Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric Curry

01:00

← Previous Article Next Article → Deliciously Ella / Recipes / Mains / Book Two Recipe: Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric Curry Book Two Recipe: Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric Curry Book Two Recipe: Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric Curry Serves 6 Ingredients View the Method

  • 500g new potatoes, halved

  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed

  • 3 teaspoons ground turmeric

  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander

  • 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or powder

  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 400g can of coconut milk

  • 1 tbsp tomato purée

  • 180g quinoa

  • 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

  • 150g spinach

  • 400g can of chopped tomatoes

  • salt and pepper

Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil, then let them cook for about 25 minutes, until you can easily stick a knife through them. Drain them well.

Place the potatoes in a large pan and add the garlic, turmeric, coriander, chilli, ginger, coconut milk, tomato purée and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, then add the quinoa with a mug of just-boiled water (300ml).

Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on and allow to cook. Over the next 30 minutes, stir every 5 minutes or so to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. (This is quite a long cooking time, but this is how long quinoa takes to cook in all these ingredients, rather than just in water.) Halfway through cooking, add the chickpeas. When there are just 5 minutes left, add the spinach and stir it in until it wilts. Once the quinoa has cooked and is fluff y, not crunchy, it’s ready.

The first recipe I created for my second book and it’s still one of my favourites! It’s from the big batch section of the book, which is all about easy meals for busy people – you can throw all the ingredients in a pan and whilst the cook you can get on with you to-do list, do your washing etc. Plus you can freeze all the leftovers. I’ve made this dish for almost everyone I know and get constant requests from friends and my team in the office, it’s so popular. The thing that makes it so delicious is that the quinoa is cooked in the coconut curry blend, so it soaks in all the incredible flavours. This means that each bite is bursting with the tastes of turmeric, coriander, ginger, garlic and chilli. The spinach adds a beautiful colour, its vibrant green creating a great contrast to the yellowy-orange curry. The book is for sale now in all bookshops in the UK and online, plus it’s half price this week!

← Previous Article Share    Next Article →
  • helen ford

    this i shall make today for my wonderful sister who has arrived last night from south africa, she will just love it too thank you for sharing with us

  • helen ford

    and by the bye i gave her a mug of your cocoa, date syrup and almond butter this morning. she was over the moon with the taste and mouth feel

  • ellawoodward

    Yes frozen spinach should work well too! Hope you love the book x

  • ellawoodward

    Awesome! Hope the curry turns out delicious! X

  • ellawoodward

    Hope you love this recipe! I’d love to start posting more of them soon :)

  • ellawoodward

    I just use organic tinned coconut milk! Biona do a great one which you can find in most health food stores x

  • ellawoodward

    Yes this is perfect for freezing! I freeze it with the potatoes and it works well! I’ve never tried it with cous cous before, so sorry! Hope you love it x

  • ellawoodward

    Yes I imagine that should work well too, just make sure they don’t end up too soft! X

  • ellawoodward

    Yes you can order the new book here! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1473619483/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1473619483&linkCode=as2&tag=delicella-21 Hope you love it! X

    • Fiona Ewan

      I sure will Ella, thankyou

  • dog walker

    Made this today and it was delicious! So simple and flavoursome. Will definitely be making again and again.

  • http://www.curiouslyconscious.com/ Besma | Curiously Conscious

    I got my first one as a present for my birthday, but I know Amazon and Planet Organic stock them! x

  • http://heghineh.com/ Heghine H

    wow This looks Amazing !

    Cant wait to try this

    Thank you for sharing

  • ellawoodward

    Hi Molly, I’ve actually never come across this before, so sorry. Sadly the release date for Australia has not been confirmed yet but I can’t wait to share it with you once it is! Have a lovely day x

  • ellawoodward

    So happy you love it! X

  • ellawoodward

    Hi Saffie, so happy you love the book! I would use boiling water for the buckwheat. So happy to hear that your whole family are loving the recipes too, that’s awesome to hear! X

  • Ana Luísa Ferreira Carvalho

    Hi Ella! Is the book available for Portugal? When will it be? Thank you!

    • ellawoodward

      Sadly not at the moment but I can’t wait to share all the translation information with you all soon! X

  • Han.

    This is the first curry I have ever made and it’s super yummy and easy! It will be a regular in my house! x

  • Luisa Long

    Hi there Ella – I by chance saw your interview on Lorraine and the chickpea curry seemed to hypnotise me! So, I bought your book and made it – my husband and I work full time and have a 16 year old daughter so we were well on the way of the ready meal route! However, made your curry on Sunday as a batch cook and they loved it!!!!! Well done – am looking at prepping the paella this weekend!

    • ellawoodward

      That’s so exciting, so happy you all loved it! Hope you find all the batch cooking really helpful! Have a lovely weekend x

      • Luisa Long

        Thanks Ella! You too!

  • Madame Cholet

    I made this dish last night. My boyfriend said it was absolutely delicious, and I have to agree, it was extremely tasty! Loving the new recipes in the book.

    • ellawoodward

      Looks delicious! So happy you both loved it x

  • http://www.modeleatsblog.com Larisa @modeleats

    this looks AMAZINGGGGG. i’m half indian and this recipe is on point! thank you for the inspiration ella!

  • James Hayley

    I just made this and its tastes awesome :)

  • Ellen Bowen

    Hi ella, just making your goey black bean brownies from your second book and I was just wondering, can u swap the black beans for anything? I’m finding the black beans hard to get! Thanks, Ellen.

  • Barbara Green

    Oooo lala Ella…. Thank you so much for this recipe, DELICIOUS!! Did substitut the spinach for broccoli and threw in some left over celery. Your books have them both & love them! Thank you. Xx

  • Barbara Green

    Oooo lala Ella. Above recipe cooked this eve substituting spinach for broccoli was DELICIOUS!! Have both books Thank you so much for bringing them to us. Xx

  • Amy (Feeding Finn)

    This was delicious and approved by both my 1 yr old and 4 yr old. A delicious family meal and one I will be making often. Thank you :)

  • Sian Hodson

    Made this again yesterday tasted even better than the first batch! Just eaten a bowl of your carbonara my daughter loves that☺️ And for dessert i whipped up your chocolate mousse! Thanks for your lovely recipes I to am trying to heal a health issue which is not easy but your food is making it a more pleasant journey xx Sian

You Might Also Like

0 yorum