fashion

{Organized} Office Closet Befores & Plans

02:17

Oh January...the month of resolutions, new beginnings, and big declarations. Three weeks into the new year, and I've already fallen behind of a few of mine (cough cut down on sugar cough cough), but along with everyone else, organization is top of my list.
We haven't even lived in this new-to-us house a year yet, so how am I already unorganized, you ask? (Okay, you didn't ask, but go with me anyway.) Well, the truth is, I never actually got fully organized...or even unpacked, for that matter!
Sure I did a few spaces, like the Pantry and Bathroom Cabinets, but {One Room Challenge} took over (both times), and the rest of it is history either shoved in cabinets and closets, or still in boxes! It overwhelms me to think about it as a whole, but when I break it up into individual spaces, it feels more manageable. So instead of declaring, 'I'm going to organize this entire house!,' I'm starting with a single closet.
Behind these sweet wallpaper-bordered doors lies my first victim of 2016...my office/craft closet!
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Gift Wrap & Craft Supplies
You may recall from Phase 1 of this project, that I lived like this for the first six months. It was neither efficient, nor inspiring, so I don't recommend going with a cardboard box motif for long.
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft Supplies & Gift Wrap
Since I'd already implemented a gift wrap center in our last house, it migrated to the new space easily, and was a great start.
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft Supplies & Gift WrapWhite Elfa Door System
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft & Gift WrapWhite Elfa Gift Wrap Door System
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft & Gift Wrap
Since the door system worked so well, and this closet is blessed with two wide-swinging doors, I added another one to the opposite side for craft paints and decorative paper. #paperhoarder
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft & Gift WrapWhite Elfa Gift Wrap Door System
Hi Sugarplum | Organized Craft & Gift Wrap
But the rest of the closet is a different story.
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Makeover
Initially, I was really excited about this larger closet, with the built-in cubbies and shelves, but none of the systems from my last Craft Closet work well in this space. The Ikea Algot pooped out, and we couldn't get it to re-install properly, the boxes aren't a good fit, and there's a lot of wasted vertical space. So while I can kind of get to the stuff I need, I'm certainly not using the closet to it's full potential.
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Makeover
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Makeover
So of course I did two things...first consulted with my Master Shifu for her best tips and advice, then hopped over to the Grand Poobah of organizing. I rounded up a bunch of inspiration, and wrote down what I liked about each of these spaces, and how they could help corral mine.
Deluxe Arts & Crafts Center
Craft Closet
Mesh Craft Room
White Elfa Home Office
White Elfa Reach-In Girl's Closet
White Elfa Freestanding Activity Room
White Elfa Playroom & Coloring Area
Are you having heart palpitations? Because I am. Armed with my notes, a general idea of the items I want stored, and the dimensions of my closet, I trotted over to Container Store, the world's happiest place, for a free consultation and planning session...because it's Elfa Sale Time!!! #themostwonderfultimeoftheyear
Sugarplum Tip: There are less-expensive door storage systems, but Container Store is the by far the most sturdy, and will last forever. I always wait for one of their big sales and stock up...like right now!
Hi Sugarplum | Elfa PlanningPink Turtleneck Sweater (another pink option on sale!) | Horn Necklace
You can create your own custom space using their simple online design tools, or have one of their experts design your dream space for FREE in-store or on the phone. And expert is not a word I throw around loosely...they really are organizing wizards! By the end, I was having heart palpitations and hyperventilating.
We created two options...one is installing their Elfa shelf and drawer system around the existing closet shelf and cubbies.
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Plans
And the second involves removing the existing bases, and optimizing the entire closet by building it out with all Elfa systems. The cool thing about their planning tool, is you can access it online and tweak the design until you get it just right. It also creates a complete product list, installation instructions, and views from every angle.
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Plans
The installers are coming soon, so I need to decide on an option! Which one would you implement? Either way, it's going to be a huge improvement!
Hi Sugarplum | Craft Closet Makeover
Are you tackling any organizing projects this month? I know I said I was sticking with one space at a time, but Container Store's Elfa systems & installation are only 30% off once a year, so my wheels are spinning! I'm stupid-excited to work with them on this project...I'll report back next week with progress!

You Might Also Like

0 yorum